Let’s face it: most of us can’t afford to budge on our wedding budgets. Planning a ceremony when money is tight is easier said than done; however, savvy couples can easily cut costs granted they know where to look.
First and foremost, couples should consider the most important aspects of their ceremony and trim the fat accordingly. For example, compromises should be made concerning the following:
- The size of the ceremony and how many guests should be invited (an intimate affair versus a lavish party)
- Which of the major and minor details of the ceremony matter the most, from fabrics and arrangements to music and catering
- How much you’re willing to spend on the essentials, such as wedding rings, her dress and his tuxedo
Understanding what matters most can reduce a couple’s stress of planning the ceremony; meanwhile, it can also uncover opportunities for you to slash costs and stay within your budget. By harnessing the power of smart shopping and keeping the following tips in the back of your mind, you can save big without sacrificing your ceremony.
Research the Ring
It’s incredibly easy to overspend on your wedding rings if you don’t know what to look for. Diamond prices can vary wildly from dealer to dealer and are determined by a number of factors including:
- The diamond’s weight and amount of carats
- The cut of the stone
- The clarity and certification of the diamond
If such concepts seem foreign to you, make sure that you research the in’s and out’s of price prior to committing to a ring. In many cases, it makes more sense to shop around online versus buying blindly at a brick-and-mortar retailer.
Frugal with Flowers
Flowers can eat up a shocking seven to ten percent of your wedding budget, leaving many couples wondering how they can keep their ceremony classy yet also save on decorations. Thankfully, getting frugal with your flowers is relatively easy, depending on how much of your budget you are willing to spend. For example:
- You can rely on seasonal or local blooms which are guaranteed to be fresh and cost-effective
- Seek out year-round blooms such as roses and orchids which likely won’t have to be imported
- Consider artificial flowers or a mixture of real and artificial flowers: in many cases, guests won’t be able to tell the difference
Many couples aren’t willing to fore-go flowers; therefore, consider cost effective options before ruling them out entirely. Once you’ve made your decision, price out your flowers both locally and online to find the best deals.
Cutting Cake Costs
What’s a wedding without cake? Elegant wedding cakes are indeed fun to marvel at and eat; however, they can quickly add up in terms of price. To compromise, it’s common for couples to have a small centerpiece cake coupled with a large sheet cake. You can also get more mileage out of your cake by cutting it into smaller slices or choosing butter cream icing versus pricier fondant. A little bit of creativity can go a long way to keeping your wedding cake delicious yet affordable.
Wedding’s don’t have to be insanely expensive: it all comes down to how you allocate your budget. By shopping smart, doing your homework and looking for smart ways to save, you can have the wedding of your dreams without sacrificing the essentials.